Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day Thoughts

I don't know about you, but when people say "Happy Memorial Day," I sort of cringe.  Memorial Day is a day set aside to honor the fallen. Those who died in service to our country.  It's not a "celebration" day. It's a day of pausing to remember those who gave their lives.  They gave everything so that you and I can go about our daily tasks with the freedom to do so, within the bounds of the law, and call this wonderful nation our own.  1.1 million men and women have given their lives for our freedom.    



Yes!  That is a lot of people.  That equates to the entire population of Dallas, Texas.  It is hard for me to take in.  This is not a celebration.  It is a day to remember.  A day to honor the fallen. Those who gave all. A friend of mine, who is also a veteran, posted on Facebook this morning,  "Please remember there is a difference between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.  God Bless America!  I bow my head in reverence to  my brother's and sisters in arms, who have paid the ultimate price." Dawn May White

Let us not forget what that price has meant to those left behind. Bow your head today and take a moment to thank those who have paid the ultimate price for you.  I already have.





No comments: