Sunday, September 21, 2014

Camping Fifi Style



I am not a camper! I do not like camping!
I do not like damp pillows, sheets and blankets. I do not like leaky tents.
I do not like lightning and thunderstorms when I’m sleeping in a tent under trees, or anywhere for that matter. I do not like spiders, bugs, snakes, toads or anything that resembles the aforementioned critters.I do not like feeling “sticky.”  I do not like to walk a ½ mile (slight exaggeration) to the “facilities”  in the dark by myself with only a flashlight at 2:30 in the morning. Nope! Not at all.  I do not like seeing my own shadow at 2:30 in the morning on the way back from said facilities. (insert scream)

However, I have made a few adjustments over the years because James does loves camping and all of the above. (I think he does anyway. Well, except for lightning.)  I have learned to put my bedding, (yes bedding) pretty shabby chic sheets with ruffles, quilts (several in fact) pillow and my sleeping bag in a Rubbermaid tub first thing in the morning. This is very important. I take them out when getting ready for bed at night. They are so nice and dry. I make up my bed on the cot provided by the best camping husband in the world, turn down  my sheet over  my quilt made by grandma, (some of the quilts are used as padding) and sleep as peacefully as possible. Then repeat next morning. After I make up my bed, I put the lid on the Rubbermaid tub and use it as a night table for my clock, phone, water bottle, flashlight and any other necessities that I might need in the middle of the night. I take an oscillating fan with me. This drowns out noise and provides a nice breeze. (In cooler weather, I take a space heater. J  So, toasty.)   If electricity is not an option there are battery operated versions available.  In some circles this is called "glamping."  An LED flashlight is imperative. Regular flashlights are just inferior. You cannot see the skunks, raccoons and other vermin in nearly enough time with an inferior flashlight at 2:30 in the morning when taking said trek to the facilities.  We have a very large tent.  I sleep on one side. He sleeps on the other.  It just works better that way. Trust me! (Remember, I am NOT a camper.)

Now, there are things that I do love about camping.  Yes, I said it.  I LOVE some things about camping and I will list them. 

I love the quiet and just being outside. I love the beauty of God’s creation. I know. It makes no sense. I love being outside, just not sleeping outside. Don’t even try to figure me out. You will surely get confused.  I love spending time with about 30 of the best in-laws a girl could ever have. Yes, in-laws. We go camping with James’ family. His mom’s brothers and sister (well Aunt Mary sort of goes. She’s a day-camper J ) All of the cousins and their children and  friends of many, many years.  I can't leave out the smell of the rain. I love rain, just not the hitting me in the face in the middle of the night inside of my tent kind of rain.  I love, love, love the food. We cook like there is no tomorrow. Full breakfasts, a sandwich lunch and all out food fest for supper. I’m talking envy of the campground.  James and Uncle Earl start cooking BBQ on Saturday morning about 6am and cook all day. This is serious business folks. They are not playing around. And just let me tell you, there is no better smell than bacon on the campground. In addition to bacon, we also had eggs, pancakes, sausage, grits, BBQ, pork chops, potato salad, slaw, baked potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, ribs as an appetizer, (you can't make this stuff up people), hamburgers, hot dogs, homemade beanie weanies. Did I mention dessert? Homemade ice cream, banana pudding, pound cake, chocolate chip cookies, rice krispie treats, brownies, crock pot lava cake,  (Family, if I left something out, please don't be upset. I'm sorry) You will notice a didn't mention one green item. Nope not one green item. No salad, no green beans, no broccoli. NADA. Let a man plan the menu and you get pork, pork, and some more pork, and they throw in a little starch as a side.



The sound of boats on the lake. 
A walk through the woods, down to the lake with my best friend.
Sitting by the campfire listening to the different conversations going on.




Singing "Amazing Grace" with your husband’s four year old cousin.  Seriously, look at those eyes.



Sitting quietly, reading a book.  Having conversations about salvation with a new member of the family, who just happens to be a pretty neat kid.
Listening to the crickets. They never get tired, do they?

But the #1 thing I love about camping is this…when it’s all over, I get to shower in my bathroom and sleep in my bed and trek across my bedroom floor to use the “facilities” at 2:30 in the morning without an LED flashlight because of the threat of vermin creeping down the path.  Ahhh.....home sweet home.

Ephesians 5:20  And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.  

*Food and  family campfire photo credits go to Cary Hendrix Johnson

Until we meet again,  Fifi






No comments: