Monday, November 3, 2014

Feed Them and They Will Come



We set up a tent and grilled hot dogs with all the fixins'.  Hot coffee, sweet tea, Hawaiian Punch and bottled water, hung a sign that we had free hot dogs and waited.

Last year we talked about doing this but didn't. I don't know why. Time and other "things" got in the way I guess. This year we were more determined. We decided this was the year. Halloween was on Friday. No better day to "test the waters." It was more than just trick or treat for us though. We are through with hiding behind our doors waiting for someone to knock, give them candy and close the door. Let's go to the them. Let's set up at the road. Give them more than candy. Give them real food with a little candy on the side too. Let's give them more than food and candy. Let's give them some neighbor love and share God's love with them.

And they came. More than 100 of them. Furniture delivery men, children, teenagers, families.76 of those who liked hot dogs and others who stopped because they were curious and wanted to ask questions or just to get candy or coffee. We met neighbors that we've never seen before. Darkness fell and the rain came and I found myself with eight teenagers under our tent. God had given me an audience and then said to me "you asked me for them, I delivered them to you. Now what will you do with them?" So, I told them about Him. I shared Roman's 8:28 All things work together for good to those who are called according to His purpose, and Romans 5:8 But God commendeth His love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. And they listened. Really listened and smiled and we ate a hot dog together. I gave them candy and wordless bracelets.  Precious teenagers who found themselves in our yard, huddled under our tent during a shower of rain, on Halloween night, eating a hot dog and "accidentally" hearing about God's love. They could have gone anywhere, but they came here!  People who now know the folks that live at 265. People who are more than just a face.


Until we meet again, Fifi








No comments: