Saturday, August 31, 2013

Showers of Blessings

Last weekend we showered the newlyweds-to-be with gifts of household goodies. Pots, pans, dishes, towels, coffee pots, dinnerware, glasses, a wheelbarrow, (every man needs a wheelbarrow. wink, wink) etc. A very dear friend of ours hosted the event in her back yard and flower garden.  It was the most perfect day. We couldn't have asked for it to have been better.  There was a slight breeze in the air. The sun was shining bright. Friends and loved ones came together to show their love and support for this precious young couple. Aren't they adorable?
Kayla lived with my aunt Sonja when she first moved here from Chattanooga. One evening Sonja asked her if she was homesick and Kayla responded, "I miss my family but as long as I'm with Brad I'm happy." When Sonja told me about their conversation, it brought tears to my eyes. Wow...contentment and  happiness in the midst of major transition.  How easy it is to get caught up in the many transitions, troubles and toils of life and forget about "being" with the One who brings true contentment and happiness.  Can we say that even though I miss my family or, I lost my job or even though I'm sick, as long as I have Jesus I'm happy?

I used to teach a song to the little children at church that went something like this:
"I'm happy in the Lord anyway. It really doesn't matter what comes my way today.
I'm gonna wear a smile hold my head up high and say. I'm happy in the Lord anyway." Shirley Cantrel

If you're like me and you tend to lean a little to the worry side of life, then maybe we need to work a little harder at leaning on Jesus instead.  

Joshua 1:9  "Have I not commanded you? Be STRONG, and COURAGEOUS. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord YOUR God will be with you WHEREVER you go."  

Don't you just love that? Wherever we go!

Take heart!

Until we meet again.  Felicia