Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Did We Just Move the Fridge?

On a whim, on a Sunday, right before lunch, when we bumped into each other for the 1,596,439th time, we decided the fridge had to be moved. It was just in the wrong place. Always has been. It has never been right. Not from the start, ever. For 31 years the kitchen has been all wrong, all because of this fridge. Well because of other reasons too, but mostly because of the fridge.  I'm at the stove, James opens the door to the freezer to get out the ice and I have to move so he can get the door open. He says to me, "You know what I hate most about this kitchen." "No what?" "That this fridge is here and we keep running into each other, every single meal." "So, move it." "Really, where?" "Over there." So he did.  (Can you really move the fridge like you move the sofa?) I guess so!  Of course we had to take a door down and sheet rock the wall in and add electric and a water line to the ice maker. (LOL) But we did it and the kitchen has a totally different feel.

(Door on the left goes into the living room and the door on the right goes down stairs into the den.
Well it did anyway.)

(This was the practice session. Would we like the door on this side of the kitchen and could we live without that door. My mother-in-law would call this a dry run.)

(James taking out the stairs.)

(The door and trim are gone.)

(The studs go in, as well as the water connection for the ice maker)

(The sheet rock and putty are up. Oops, forgot to mention the electrical outlet)


(After sanding, the best part begins...the painting)

(Security system keypad was moved to the other wall.)

(Copper tubing was connected to the water valve, tested for leaks, YAY, no leaks. Good job honey.)

(Move the fridge.)

This kitchen has (had) four doors that go into it. That's right FOUR! One to the living room, one to the dining room, one to the downstairs den and one to outside. Closing off this door to the downstairs den wasn't a problem because we have another entrance to that room.  It did take me a couple of times of going around the corner to go downstairs before I figured out the door wasn't there anymore. Hey, don't judge! I went through that door for 31 1/2 years before we closed it off. Old habits die hard.  

We still have a little more work to do. We are going to build in a cabinet base where the fridge was. This will give us more counter space as well as more storage. We've changed out the light fixture and we've decided we want to switch out our counter tops to butcher block. (My style is farmhouse/cottage style so butcher block will fit in better with my tastes.) It was time to upgrade those anyway. We will need to build in cabinetry/shelves above the fridge to give it a built in look. In addition, we are in the process of upgrading the appliances and I would like to put shutters on our large bay window. But for now the semi-sheer white curtains work. We will probably begin the rest of the work this Fall after all the summer hoop-la has subsided.  We did it and the kitchen has a totally different feel and we love it like this. What ever took us so long?



Do you do things like this on a whim? Say "let's do it" and then just start?  We do that all the time. Well it's more me than him but sometimes he is the one who gets the idea first.  I do love a good project.

Sometimes, I like to Google the verse for the day just to see what pops up. Today's verse was just perfect for what I needed. It has nothing to do with moving a fridge though. Just thought I would share.  2 Corinthians 12:9 “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

Until we meet again, Fifi

Linking with:
 All Things Heart and Home
Savvy Southern Style

No comments: