Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Master Bath Remodel

It has been a little over a year since we decided to tackle our master bathroom remodel.  We took a wall down between two very small 80's bathrooms and made one nice sized master bath.  I can honestly say this was probably the biggest project we've ever done but the most rewarding by far. Every time I go in there I smile. I love my master bath. If I ever move I'm taking it with me. Seriously...where  I go it goes.  We had lots of help from family and friends and it took right around five months to do. Some of the project was hired but most was sweat equity. James' dad is the man! He totally gets props! That man is a workhorse.

The tile is a great color and I love that I can change the colors of the towels with the seasons.  Right now I'm using pumpkin colored towels and they pull out the orange in the tile.  I will switch those out right after Thanksgiving with Christmas colors. Last year I used red with aqua.

The pictures begin after demo. As you can see we took everything out totally down to the studs and put in moisture resistant drywall. Previously there was just regular dry wall. I hope you enjoy. 






James bartered for the tub and we refinished it. It is early 1900's and was originally a claw foot that has been converted to a pedestal tub.  We bought a reglazing, resurfacing kit from Lowe's and saved ourselves about $1500.00. (That price was quoted, pick up, reglaze and delivery.)  We did the work outside and I would highly recommend that.  If it ever needs it again we will have to move out for the weekend. The fumes are incredibly strong and I'm not sure we have enough ventilation to survive. The tub however, looks great and it has held up well. I bought the stool at Home Goods.


This cabinet is an apothecary cabinet from the original Lula Conrad Hoots Memorial Hospital in Yadkinville, NC. This cabinet has been used for a doll cabinet, dishes and now for towel storage.
 I like it best here. The basket was handmade by a special lady in Jamaica when James was there on a missions trip several years ago.



The tile is from Lowe's and is Castle Stone and the color is Harvest.
Winston Shower Door in Winston Salem installed the frameless shower enclosure.




The plumbing supplies came from Hughes Supply and the small cabinets and mirrors were purchased at Home Goods. Rugs were purchased at Lowe's. Shelf in between mirrors was purchased at 
Garden Ridge. Apothecary jars are vintage and were given to my by my mom.


White, Seafoam green, brown and orange towels were purchased at Target.
(I've also used gray towels also from Target.)  


The wall where  the cabinet is sitting used to be the door to the hallway and is now closed in. Laundry basket and towel hook are from Hobby Lobby. I bought the wire locker basket at a shop in
 Blowing Rock, NC.  Starfish are from Anna Maria Island, Florida.  The lamp was purchased at 
Treasures Decor in Clemmons, NC.
http://www.treasuresdecorconsignments.com/.  Love, love, love this place. 

The vintage medicine cabinet came from James' grandparent's house.  I didn't paint it. Just cleaned it and James hung it on the wall. It was perfect just like it was. Some things are just best left untouched.
 This was one of them.

I hope you have enjoyed my "tour." It was sort of a 30th anniversary present to ourselves and we are enjoying it very much.   

We are incredibly thankful for family and friends who shared their talents by laying tile, finishing drywall, crown molding, electrical and for helping draw the plans to scale and of course James' dad for his day in and day out tireless effort in planning, scheming and overall good natured self and 
hard work. 

Until we meet again,

Fifi












No comments: