Thursday, December 12, 2013

An Evening Out on the Town

It has become somewhat of a yearly tradition for my Aunt Sonja, my parents and I to attend the Piedmont Wind Symphony Christmas Concert.  http://piedmontwindsymphony.com/ Each year they have a guest artist and we have heard some of the greats, The Three Tenors, Paul Anka, Kenny G and this year, Neil Sedaka.  It's such a great time to get out for the evening, just sit back, relax and listen to the Wind Symphony, the guest artist and enjoy our time together.

I love listening to the music of the 50's and early 60's.  It takes me back to my childhood.  My mom has a beautiful voice and I remember her cleaning house and humming or singing tunes from her teenage years. "Wake Up Little Susie" and "Sugartime"  are just two that comes to mind. And my Dad...oh my goodness...he would love to sing "Put Your Head on My Shoulder" while acting it out. "Acting it out" meant pressing our heads on his shoulder and holding it there while he sang to us. Needless to say, that would get on your nerves in a hurry. You just couldn't get away. Oh, and I can't forget "Blueberry Hill." That must have been one of Dad's favorites. Dad bought a collection of albums one year called "Autumn Leaves" and he would put those albums on the turntable at night and we would all go to sleep listening to their favorite songs of that era. I think that is why I love to go hear artists like Paul Anka and Neil Sedaka, because I have such fond memories associated with that music.  It wasn't music of my era but my parent's era.  It links me to them.  It gives me a connection to them.  It gives us something in common and it reminds me of my childhood, when things were more simple.

I'm so thankful for my childhood.  We were well cared for, were loved deeply. We were taught how to make biscuits and gravy from scratch. I could cook a full meal at 12 years of age. (Thanks mom!) Dad taught us how to change and rotate the tires (yes girls can rotate tires) and mow the grass.  We hung clothes on the line, raked leaves, shucked corn, shelled peas, rode bicycles together as a family and went on some awesome family vacations. We helped cut wood.  Well...Dad cut wood. We piled it on the trailer. We worked hard and played hard but we did almost everything as a family.  Then when the day was done, it was time for a little music from the 50's.

Yes, I may be a 70's girl but I love my 50's music.  It will make me smile every single time. Thanks Mom and Dad for loving us, teaching us about life and how to make it in this world. Thanks for making our home a happy place and  for singing "Sugartime" and "Put Your Head On My Shoulder." Thanks for giving us good memories and for ending each day on a happy "note".



"Put Your Head On My Shoulder"
Paul Anka

Merry Christmas!

Until we meet again,

Fifi

No comments: