Monday, March 17, 2014

Rain, Rain and More Rain...or Is It?

So the weather report is in and it's another winter weather advisory.  It might be rain, ice, or a mixture of the two. Will school be on a delay?  Will there be power outages again?  We need the rains and snows of winter to prepare the ground for crops that will soon be planted this Spring. This weather kind of fits with the "weather" I've had in  my soul this winter. I posted a comment on a blog last week, All Things Heart and Home, Robin was talking about changing out her mantle decor and how she was looking forward to Spring. She mentioned the cold and hard winter and how she couldn't wait to get outside and dig in the dirt. I commented: "It has been an emotional 'winter' for me. Storms of life have set in but we do have His promise that 'weeping' only lasts for the night. JOY! comes in the morning!"  It has been a long winter, physically and emotionally in some areas. We go through those storms sometimes. Thankfully, we have times of spring and summer as well.

I chose the word "Still" for this year and I'm learning daily that this is a very difficult thing for  me to do. To be still doesn't come naturally for me. I'm constantly striving to work on it. I find that I'm reminding myself daily to quiet my spirit and listen to what God is trying to teach me through the circumstances that I find myself in. I'm a fixer. I tend to bulldoze ahead and just fix "it" if at all possible. I'm finding that some things just can't be fixed by me. Shoulder surgery and the subsequent healing and therapy, Brad changing jobs and he and Kayla moving to another state, Kristen taking in and trying to adjust to a rescue dog that just didn't work out, unexpected illness with a family member, etc. These things, before you know it, begin to pile up on us emotionally.  We find ourselves overwhelmed and despondent, cranky, sore, sad, angry at the world and maybe even depressed. How do we fix it? I don't think we are supposed to. Well, from what I'm learning in this season of being still is this.  In our humaness (I know that isn't a word but I like it.) we must daily remind ourselves that we aren't asked to control and fix all of these situations. There is a reason for all of "this." These storms can be good things. Things to make us stronger and draw us closer to the Lord. Stronger in our faith. Storms of life to build our testimony and give us a voice to our story.   I sure do wish I lived close enough to Him that I didn't need trials to pull me closer. That my voice was strong enough without more storms.Don't you?

So, in a nutshell. Rain, literally or figuratively, is a good thing.  It may be hard at the time but it is still a good thing. The literal rain will make my shoulder ache. The figurative rain will make my heart ache. However, I can go to my Rock, my Shelter, my Comforter , my Healer. He will provide what I need, when I need it. Will the storm be easy to weather? Maybe not, but I do know that I have someone who is control and who can calm the storms. Do you know the calmer of the storms?

John 3:16 For God so loved  (insert your name) that He gave His only begotten son. That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.



"Still" By Hillsong United




Hide me now
Under Your wings
Cover me
Within Your mighty hand



When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with You above the storm
Father You are king over the flood
I will be still, know You are God

Until we meet again,

Fifi







No comments: