Thursday, March 5, 2015

Copy "Cow" Guest Room

Last summer I was clicking through blogs and ran across this picture of a bedroom on a blog that I frequently visit. I just totally love Heather's style.  Seriously, look at that cow! Oh my word!! I couldn't even stop talking about that cow. I showed that cow to everyone.  Well, anyone that would listen and maybe even a few that wouldn't.  Who am I kidding? I talked to myself about that cow.



This room rang my bells.  I was completely drawn to every aspect of this room but didn't have anything to make it happen. I did have an empty bedroom though.  A few weeks later,  my aunt Sonja, after having their house on an off the market several times, sold their house and downsized. She called and said, "I have a bedroom suite. You want it?"  What??? Yes!!!!  Whoa!!! Wait just a second horsey!! We need to paint. I need curtains and bedding and holy moly, I need a cow!!!  This bedroom can't happen without a cow.  I stalked Etsy, Ebay, Amazon, Overstock, you name it, I searched  and searched and finally  after digging on Heather's blog I found where she purchased her cow painting.  I rushed over there and Whoa again! It was totally out of my budget.  I couldn't even mention that I wanted a cow that cost that much to James. Well, I could have, but he would have thought we would need to pasture it for raising and eating in the future. I think decor, he thinks steak. Seriously! So...I put the cow on hold and off we went.  

We got busy stripping the popcorn ceilings.(I'm thinking cows.)  James' dad came over and helped us paint and we changed out the door knobs. (I'm still thinking cows.) I painted the hardware on the furniture from brass to silver and then I got busy shopping for a cow.   After shopping at World Market, Home Goods, Target, Hobby Lobby, etc. and not finding a cow in my colors, it happened. One Sunday morning, I had an "AHA" moment. Ever had  one of those?   I decided to ask a precious artist friend. Carrie, who attends our church, if she would consider painting me a cow.  I showed her a picture of the cow above and she agreed to paint one. She named her Fifi. Haha! She is gorgeous.

My aunt just happened to have white bedding and asked if I wanted it after seeing my inspiration picture, Yes! Of course! My niece went shopping with me and we found Toile pillow shams at Kohl's for 50% off and I found the ruffled pillow at Target. The last ruffled pillow in town. The lamp was on clearance at Home Goods and the curtains came from Lowe's.







Although, my room isn't totally like the one at the The Heathered Nest, I still love it. What do you think?  Do you like it?   When I get ready to redo a room, I start looking for inspiration pictures. Blogs, Pinterest and magazines are great places to start getting ideas of what you like. I always look for deals and shop with a budget in mind. I shop consignment and thrift stores for  similar pieces. It doesn't have to be exact and I love a can of paint. Anything can be updated with a can of paint. My mom says that she is always afraid to come over for fear she might get painted.  Right now we are working on a downstairs den/man-cave, Rustic/Industrial/Farmhouse style. I know. Weird.

Our fearless helper


Be sure to stop by and see Heather and view her awesome blog. She was so gracious to give me permission to use the picture of her beautiful room. You won't be disappointed.

Until we meet again,  Fifi

Psalm 50:10  For every beast of the forest is mine and I own the cattle upon a thousand hills.

4 comments:

Heathered Nest said...

Way to go!! It looks great...and FiFi is divine, as is your beautiful poster bed. So happy that you like your new space. Cheers! Heather

Unknown said...

Thank you Heather. I'm glad you like it and you totally made my day by commenting! Thanks so much!!!

Penny said...

Your room may not be like Heather;s but it's even better - you have a hand-painted original, signed by the artist!

Unknown said...

Penny, Carrie is as sweet as her art. Thank you for stopping by and your kind comments. Blessings